Stuff happens

The writing has begun to move along. Probably just in time for me to switch to something else for a deadline. I typed in the opening pages of the new book, and decided that I needed to trash the first 3 pages (an improvement over the 50 pages that had to be dumped from the One Rose book I finished last month). I can feed all that information in–and probably ought to–while the story moves along. And some of it probably doesn’t need to go in.

Thursday night, I took seven local kids to a Mercy Me concert in Amarillo. Because we’re an hour away, we had to leave by six to get there on time. Problem was, several of the kids didn’t get out of baseball/softball practice till right at six, and understandably didn’t want to go to a concert in a dirty practice uniform. We left town about 15 minutes late with an Excursion full of hungry kids–some did eat ahead of time, but most of them had no time to do it. They scarfed down the few Girl Scout cookies I had, a small bag of Chex Mix and a small bag of green salsa Doritos one of them provided.

Of course, by the time we got to the “big city” (hey, compared to our little town, Amarillo IS big…) all the close parking was taken, so we had to hike a ways, then while I ran around to pick up the tickets, they ran to the concessions for food. Anyway, it was an excellent concert. Okay, even when I was their age (high school or younger) I never did like bass cranked up so loud it made the body vibrate. I still don’t like it. But other than that, it was great. We saw most of the rest of our town there–lots of visiting went on during intermission, and lots of singing along with the bands. Lots of fun.

School night, I was trying to get them home as early as I could, so–since they were still insisting they were starving–we drove through at McDonald’s. I’m truly impressed they could keep our mass order straight. One young lady got an ice cream cone. When they handed it to me, the very tall ice cream proceeded to topple over, and I had to catch it in my bare hands. It didn’t melt too much before the clerk brought me a sundae cup I could fold the ice cream in and stick the cone on top. And the sweet child who ordered it was sitting in the farthest back seat in the vehicle. Even with all the napkins, my fingers tasted sweet all the way home.

And I still got some good writing done on Friday, even with all the late hours.

The son (a high school senior) is acting in the college’s spring play–last performance is this afternoon, so I’ll sign off now. I am finally taking the camera with me so I can get pictures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>